St Augustine’s Cross

This Cross was erected at Ebbsfleet between Ramsgate and Sandwich in 1884 to commemorate the landing of Saint Augustine of Canterbury and his company of monks in 597.

It is believed to be near the site where he preached his first sermon on English soil, before King Ethelbert of Kent and his court.

The king insisted that the sermon should be given in the open air so that the possibilities of witchcraft were reduced!

Soon Augustine was established at Canterbury and the re-introduction of Christianity into southern England had begun.

Comments are closed.